Thursday, May 28, 2009

Ohio May 2009







I left a stormy, rainy (much needed) Florida to visit with my new grandson Dexter James in a warm sunny Dayton, Ohio. Allison met me at the airport with Dex in his car seat. (Those car seats are fairly amazing.) Dex was asleep as most babies are when traveling backwards at 70 miles an hour. We stopped before going home at O’Charles a restaurant with a large menu, large portions, and friendly service. Dex slept and we ate what we could, talked about parenthood, sports, work, etc and took home the next days lunch in a box.
At Ali and Dan’s townhouse we were greeted by Ophelia, Bosley, and Tiger-Lilly (two middle aged basset hounds and fifteen year old cat. All the animals love baby Dexter. Dexter began to awaken asking for food and dipper change. He eats about three ounces of milk. I got to help out and hold, feed, change and comfort him. Last year I got to spend the day taking care of Cole but he was no helpless baby. It has been along time since I have worked with such a little one, but it was easy and enjoyable. It is a fully time job, however so I tried to do as much as I could as Allison had him all night. She says so far he is good at night, letting her sleep in three or four hour blocks.
Where was Dan? When I flew to Ohio, he had flown to Florida! He was helping his mom move from Florida to Delaware. She is moving near Dan’s sister who is having twins any day now! Well Dan drove a U-Haul for his mom from Florida to Delaware and then rented a car and drove home. He arrived back a few hours after I left. So, while I missed him, it allowed me to maximize my time with Dex.
In the few days I had with him, I saw him expand his horizons. On Saturday, Allison, Dex, and I went to visit Heather, Jeff and Cole. It was so wonderful to see the three of them. Cole really impressed me when he said, “Hello, Grandfather.” He said it in a loving and sweet voice. I believe he may have been prompted, but one he put the words together with the real me, it became natural. Cole has grown as fast as children always seem to do. He has a strong voice, sharp mind, and loving persona. It seemed to Ali and me that Dexter was really attracted to him and his voice. Dexter stayed awake much of the time during our day at the Johnston’s.
My sister Cindy drove down from Media to meet Dexter and get caught up with the family. She is a wonderful care giver and she got some great time with Dex. Jeff cooked on the grill and we had a full lunch with hamburgers, hot dogs, brauts, etc. Thanks Jeff!

The visit was much to short both at the Johnston household and my few days with Allison and Dexter, but this blog is to long. Love you all, Allan

No comments: